Admittedly, one habit many find hard to break when transitioning to a whole-food, plant-based diet is what to have for breakfast. Many enjoyed a daily dose of scrambled eggs for breakfast. This Vegetable Tofu Scramble recipe makes a great substitution and can be easily prepared in advance and warmed for those busy mornings before work. This recipe is a nice compliment to the Sweet Potato Breakfast Tortilla. Recipe Inspired by www.PCRM.com
Vegetable Tofu Scramble
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 2 garlic pods crushed or diced
- 1 red, yellow or orange pepper, diced fine
- 2 cups portobello mushrooms sliced and diced
- ¼-½ cup organic veggie broth
- 2 cups broccoli chopped
- 1 14-oz. block of extra firm tofu (drained, dried & crumbled)
- ½ cup Nutritional Yeast (more if necessary)
- 1 tsp Mrs. Dash garlic & herb seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp. curry
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp. (or less) cayenne pepper
Sauté green onions on medium heat in ¼ cup veggie broth until tender. Add all the diced veggies and sauté on medium for about 10 minutes or until desired tenderness. Add more veggie broth only if the mixture gets dry on the bottom of the pan, but don’t make it too wet.
While sautéing veggies, drain the tofu in a strainer; place on paper towels and press to remove all excess water. Use a fork to crumble tofu into small pieces. Pat dry with a paper towel. Once dry and veggies are desired tenderness, add tofu to sautéed veggies.
Top with spice mixture; carefully fold spices into mixture being careful not to mash the tofu too much. If needed, add more veggie broth one tablespoon at a time. Once ingredients are well incorporated and heated, remove from heat and add nutritional yeast.