Inspired by Blue Zone Kitchen Cookbook
1 cup cooked sweet potato peeled & mashed
1 cup black beans drained & mashed
1-1/2 – 2 cups rolled oats
4 ounces baby portabella mushrooms, chopped
1 small red onion, chopped
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder, optional
4 whole wheat burger buns
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a skillet on low heat, sauté chopped onions and mushrooms until they begin to sweat. Once sweating, increase the heat to medium temperature and cook until both are very dry. Add vinegar to the skillet to deglaze; allow moisture to evaporate.
- In the meantime, coarsely grind oatmeal in blender or food processor; set aside.
- In a food processor, combine the sweet potato, black beans, onion/ mushroom mixture, salt, and spices; incorporate the ground oats.
- Let mixture rest for 5 minutes to absorb extra moisture. Form the mixture into 4 patties.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes flipping burgers after 20 minutes.